Douglas County District Attorney
    County Codes Print...     Link To This Page    
Title 1 General Provisions
Title 2 Administration and Personnel
Title 3 Revenue and Finance
Title 5 Business Licenses and Regulations
Title 6 Animals
Title 8 Health and Safety
Title 9 Criminal Code
Title 10 Vehicles and Traffic
Title 12 Streets and Other Public Places
Title 13 Parks
Title 14 Airports
Title 18 Town Annexation and Service Districts
Title 19 Initiative Ordinances
Title 20 Consolidated Development Code
Appendix A
Appendix B
Appendix C
Appendix D (Sewer Facilities and Non-Residential Wastewater Discharge Ordinance)
Appendix E (Backflow and Cross-Connection Control Ordiance)
Appendix F (Water Facilities)
20.01 General Provisions; Consistency with Master Plan; Right to Farm
20.02 Development Permits
20.04 Application Process and Official Filing Date
20.06 Decision by the Director
20.08 Review by Advisory Body
20.10 Review and Decision by Planning Commission
20.100 Public Facilities and Improvement Standards
20.12 Review and Decision by Board of County Commissioners
20.14 Conditional Approval
20.20 Notice Provisions
20.200 Surveys
20.220 Installing Utilities Underground
20.24 Public Hearing Procedures
20.28 Post Decision Proceedings
20.30 Expiration of Approval of Development Permit
20.300 Impact Fees
20.32 Revocation of Permit
20.34 Enforcement
20.38 Board of Adjustment
20.40 Fees
20.400 Development Agreements
20.44 Rounding of Quantities
20.440 Density Bonus Agreements
20.460 Reimbursement Agreements
20.470 Maintenance Districts
20.471 Maintenance District 1 - Monterra
20.50 Floodplain Management
20.500 Transfer Development Rights
20.550 Growth Management
20.560 Building Permit Allocation and Growth Management
20.600 General Provisions
20.602 Pre-application Conference
20.604 Special use permits
20.606 Variances
20.608 Amendment to Master Plan
20.610 Zoning Administration
20.612 Specific Plan
20.614 Design Review
20.618 Sign Permit
20.620 Temporary Use Permit
20.650 Zoning Districts and Standards
20.654 Agriculture and Forestry and Range Districts
20.656 Residential Districts
20.658 Non-Residential Districts
20.660 Use Regulations
20.662 Agricultural, Forest and Range, and Residential Land Use District Specific Standards (Table)
20.664 Agricultural, Forest and Range, and Residential Land Use Specific Standards
20.666 Non-Residential Specific Standards for Permitted, Development Permitted and Special use permit Uses (Table)
20.668 Non-Residential Uses Specific Standards
20.672 Livestock Overlay (LO) Zoning District
20.674 Manufactures Housing (MH) District
20.675 Mixed-use Commercial (MUC) Overlay District
20.676 Planned Development (PD) Overlay District
20.678 Residential Office (RO) Overlay District
20.680 Genoa Historic (GH) Overlay District
20.682 Clustered Residential Subdivision (CR) Overlay
20.685 Gaming District (GD) Overlay
20.690 Property Standards
20.691 Property Maintenance
20.692 Off-Street Parking and Loading
20.694 Landscape Standards
20.696 Sign and Advertising Control
20.698 Nonconforming Uses and Structures
20.700 Applicability and Procedures
20.702 Zoning Districts and Standards
20.703 Tahoe Area Plan Regulations
20.704 General Provisions
20.708 Subdivision Application Procedure and Approval Process
20.712 Parcel Maps
20.714 Division of Agricultural Land for Conservation Purposes
20.716 Division of Land into Large Parcels
20.718 Division of Land for Agricultural Purposes
20.720 Assurance for Completion and Maintenance of Improvements
20.768 Land Readjustment
20.770 Boundary Line Adjustment
20.800 General Provisions
20.810 Administration
20.820 Building Permits
20.830 Site Improvement Permits
20.840 Encroachment Permits
20.900 Numbering Structures and Naming Streets
Effective Date
Table of Ordinances

Collapse/expand the left pane
County Codes
Title 20 Consolidated Development Code
Appendix A



Words and phrases defined as set out in this chapter unless it is apparent that from the context they have a different meaning. All words used in the present tense include the future; all words in the singular include the plural; the word building includes the word structure, the word shall or must is mandatory, the word may is permissive, the word person: includes firm, association, corporation, partnership and natural person; the word used includes the words arranged, designed or intended to be used; the word construct includes the words erect, reconstruct, alter, move in and move upon; masculine and feminine terms such as he and she are used interchangeably; words not defined herein shall have meanings as set forth in Webster’s Ninth New College Dictionary.

If the definitions stated herein at any time conflict with the definitions provided in the other chapters of code, the more restrictive interpretation shall apply. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 167, 1968; Ord. 158, 1956)


"Abandoned sign": A sign, which no longer correctly directs or exhorts any person, advertises a bona fide business, lessor, owner, project or activity conducted, or product available on the premises where such sign is displayed. (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Aboveground utility projects”: An aboveground electric transmission line which is designed to operate at 200 kilovolts or more and which has been approved for construction after October 1, 1991, by the State or Federal Government or a governing body.  (Ord. 1433, 2015)

"Abutting or adjacent": Two or more parcels sharing a common boundary of at least one point. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Access": Safe, adequate, usable ingress or egress to a property or use of not less than twenty feet in width to a legally dedicated public way. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 167, 1968) 

"Accessory dwelling": An attached or detached dwelling unit determined by minor design review to be accessory to the permitted principal use; which provides complete, independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking, and sanitation; which is intended for occupation by paying or non-paying guests, members of the family, or person employed on the premises; which is located on the same parcel as the permitted principal use. (Ord. 1182, 2006; Ord. 801, 1998; Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Accessory non-polluting renewable energy systems": Systems, such as solar, geothermal, and wind, which produce non-polluting renewable energy for on-site use. (Ord. 1313, 2010)

"Accessory structure": A detached structure which is not a dwelling unit as defined in this chapter and which is accessory to and located on the same parcel as the permitted principal use. (Ord. 1182, 2006; Ord. 801, 1998; Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Accessory use": A use which is incidental and subordinate to the uses permitted by right to the zoning district. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Acre, gross": A gross acre consists of 43,560 square feet of land, and includes any public streets and alleys or other rights-of-way or easements. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 497, 1989) 

"Acre, net": A net acre consists of 43,560 square feet of land, exclusive of any public streets and alleys or other rights-of-way, but inclusive of public utility, drainage, or irrigation maintenance easements. Unless otherwise stated, “acre” means “net acre” wherever used in this code. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 497, 1989)

Gross Acreage (shaded area)
Net Acreage (shaded area)

"Action": The decision made by the review authority on a land use application, including appropriate findings and conditions of approval where applicable. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Active area": The area a use occupies. This is for purposes of parking calculations. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Adjacent grade, predeveloped": The natural elevation of ground surface prior to construction next to the proposed walls of a structure. (Ord. 801, 1998) 

"Administrator": The community development director or designee, unless otherwise specified. For the purposes of floodplain management, administrator shall refer to the floodplain administrator. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Advisory body": The Town of Genoa, Gardnerville and Minden, and any other duly appointed committee by the Board of County Commissioners. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Agriculture": The use of land for farming, dairying, pasteurizing and grazing, horticulture, floriculture, apiaries, animal and poultry husbandry, and accessory activities, including but not limited to, storage, harvesting, feeding, or maintenance of equipment excluding stockyards, slaughtering or commercial food processing. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Alley": A public or private way, at the rear or side of property, permanently reserved as an ancillary means of vehicular or pedestrian access to abutting property. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 167, 1968) 

"Alluvial fan": A geomorphologic feature characterized by a cone or fan-shaped deposit of clay, silt, sand, gravel, and boulders that have been eroded from mountain slopes, transported by flood flows, and deposited on the valley floor. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Alteration": Any construction or physical change in the internal arrangement of rooms or the supporting members of a building or structure, or change in the appearance of any building or structure. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Alternative tower structure": A support structure for wireless communications facilities which is primarily for another principal use or accessory use to the principal use on the lot where it is located, and partially or wholly conceals the antenna or minimizes its appearance in relation to the principal use of the structure. Examples of alternative tower structures include but are not limited to existing buildings, grain silos, utility poles, light poles, clock towers and steeples. (Ord. 871, 1999) 

"Anchor": A series of methods used to secure a structure to its footings or foundation wall so that it will not be displaced by flood or wind forces. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Anemometer": A device for measuring the speed and direction of the wind. 

"Antenna": A device for transmitting or receiving radio, television, or any other transmitted signal. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Apartment, multifamily": A portion of a structure designed and used for occupancy by two or more families living independently of each other, including duplex, triplex, four-plex, and other multiunit configurations. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 167, 1968) 

"Apex": The highest point on an alluvial fan or similar landform below which the flow path of the major stream that formed the fan becomes unpredictable and alluvial fan flooding can occur. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Appeal": A request for review of a decision. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Applicant": Owners or lessees of property, or their agents, or persons who have contracted to purchase property contingent upon their ability to acquire the necessary permits under this development code, or the agents of such persons. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 641, 1994) 

"Appurtenances": The visible, functional, or ornamental objects accessory to and part of a building. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Appurtenant sign": A sign directing attention to products or services offered, but not necessarily directly concerning the use of the property where the sign is located, such as credit card, beverage, or association signs, and the like. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981) 

"Architectural feature": A portion of a sign structure intended to accent a sign rather than to provide or carry additional message, area such as framing, roofing, exposed foundations, landscaping, and the like. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

"Area identification sign": A permanent sign used to identify a neighborhood, subdivision, shopping district, or any area of distinct character. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

"Area of shallow flooding": Designated zones AO and AH on a community’s Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) with a one-percent or greater annual chance of flooding to an average depth of one to three feet where a clearly defined channel does not exist, where the path of flooding is unpredictable and where velocity flow may be evident. Such flooding is characterized by ponding or sheet flow. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Area of sign": See Sign area. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Attached": Any structure that has a roof or an interior wall in common with another structure. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Auto dismantling": The wrecking or dismantling of motor vehicles or trailers, or the storage, sale or dumping of dismantled, partly dismantled, or wrecked motor vehicles or their parts. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Auto sales lot" (Vehicle sales lot): An open area used for the display, sale or rental of new or used motorized vehicles. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Awning sign": A sign which is painted, sewn, stained, etc., onto the exterior surface of an awning or canopy. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981) 

"Banner": A piece of cloth, plastic, paper or other material with a design, motto, or slogan, sometimes attached to a standard, displayed as an advertising device to draw attention to the site where located. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981) 

"Backflow prevention device": A safety device used to prevent pollution or contamination of the water supply due to the reverse flow of water from the irrigation system. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Backwater effect": The rise in water surface elevation caused by some obstruction such as a narrow bridge opening, buildings or fill material that limits the area through which the water must flow. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Balloon": Any inflatable device that does not fall under the definition of inflatable device. (Ord. 801, 1998) 

"Base flood": A flood which has a one-percent chance of being equaled or exceeded in any given year. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Base flood elevation": The height in relation to mean sea level expected to be reached by the waters of the base flood at pertinent points in the floodplain of riverine areas. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Base floodplain": The floodplain that would be inundated by a one-percent chance flood. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

    a. A story partly or completely underground. A basement shall be counted as a story for purposes of height measurement where any portion of a basement has more than ½ of its h eight above grade.
    b. For the purposes of flood management, a basement shall be considered any area of the building having in its floor subgrade (below ground level) on all sides. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Bench sign": Any sign painted on or otherwise attached to a bench or other seat placed in an exterior area of a premises. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Berm": A mound o r embankment of earth designed to provide visual interest, screen undesirable views, or decrease noise. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Board": The Board of Douglas County Commissioners, unless otherwise specified. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Breakaway walls": A wall that is not part of the structural support of the building and is intended through its design and construction to collapse under specific lateral loading forces, without causing damage to the elevated portion of the building or supporting foundation system. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Buffer-yard": A continuous area of land which is required to be set aside along the perimeter of a lot which is landscaped with a combination of plants, berms, fences, or walls, the purpose of which is to provide a transition between and to reduce the environmental, aesthetic, and other impacts of one type of land use upon another. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Buildable area": That portion of the platted lot exclusive of the required front, rear and side yard setbacks, as established by the base zone for the lot, and, for the purposes of hillside management, minus all designated undevelopable area. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Building": Any structure having a roof supported by columns or walls, not including a travel trailer or Recreational Vehicle. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 641, 1994; Ord. 167, 1968) 

"Building area": The total gross square footage of floor area of the buildings located on a parcel of property. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981) 

"Building area, occupied": The total gross square footage of floor area of a building occupied by an individual business or unit of operation. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981) 

"Building height": The vertical distance from any part of the structure to the natural grade below, excluding chimneys and vents. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 406, 1982; Ord. 167, 1968) 

"Building principal": See Structure, principal. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Building setback": The distance between the property line and the nearest portion of a building on the property. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Building site": The ground area of a building together with all open spaces required by this development code. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Building site slope": The average natural slope of the area designated as the building envelope measured at right angles to the natural contours along a line passing through the center of the building envelope, such line shall terminate at the opposite edges of the proposed building, or at the opposite edges of the proposed cut or fill, whichever distance is greater. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Carport": A permanent roofed structure not completely enclosed to be used for vehicle parking. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Certificate of occupancy": A permit issued by the community development department prior to occupancy of a structure to assure that the structure is ready for occupancy with all defects corrected, all construction debris removed, the site graded to final grade, and all on-site amenities, including but not limited to paving and landscaping are complete. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Changeable copy sign" or "reader board sign": A sign or portion thereof with characters, letters, numerals, or illustrations that can be changed or rearranged without altering the face of the surface of the sign. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981) 

"Channel capacity": The maximum flow that can pass through a channel without overflowing the banks. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Civic event sign": A sign, other than a commercial sign, posted to advertise to provide direction to a civic or charitable event sponsored by a public agency, a school, a church, a civic fraternal organization or similar non-commercial organization. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Collection facility" (recycling): A center for the acceptance by donation, redemption or purchase of recyclable materials from the public, which may include the following: 
    A.  Reverse vending machines; 
    B.  Small collection facilities which occupy an area of less than 500 square feet and may include: 
        1.  A mobile unit; 
        2.  Bulk reverse vending machines or a grouping of reverse vending machines occupying more than 50 square feet; or 
        3.  Kiosk-type units which may include permanent structures;
    C.  Large collection facilities which may occupy any area of more than 500 square feet and may include permanent structures. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Co-location": The placement of more than one antenna or transmitter on a single wireless communications tower by more than one wireless service provider. (Ord. 871, 1999) 

"Commercial sign": Any sing which is intended to attract attention to a commercial activity, business, commodity, service, entertainment or attraction sold or offered. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 1676, 1968) 

"Commercial vehicle": Every vehicle designed, maintained or used primarily for the transportation of property in furtherance of commercial enterprise. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Commission": The Planning Commission of Douglas County, unless otherwise specified. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Committee": The Development Review Committee, unless otherwise specified. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Common open space": A parcel or parcels of land or an area of water or easements, licenses or equitable servitudes within the site designated for a planned unit development which is designed and intended for the use or enjoyment of the residents or owners of the development. Common open space may contain such complementary structures and improvements as are necessary and appropriate for the benefit and enjoyment of the residents or owners of the development. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Community": Any state or area or political subdivision thereof, or any Indian tribe or authorized tribal organization, or authorized native organization, which has authority to adopt and enforce flood plain management regulations for the area within its jurisdiction. (Ord. 7634, 1996) 

"Community entry sign": A sign placed to identify the entry point of a specific geographic area or community. (Ord. 1009, 2002) 

"Community directory sign": A sign, which gives information about local churches or civic organizations. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Complex, commercial or industrial": A building or group of buildings within a single architectural plan housing three or more commercial or industrial units of operation where shared access, driveways, or parking is provided. A complex may include separate parcels, parcels of record as part of a commercial or industrial subdivision, or building pads or envelopes with shared or common elements. (Ord. 1041, 2003; Ord. 870, 1999; Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Conditional letter of map revision" (CLOMR): Procedures by which contractors, developers and communities can request review and determination by the Federal Insurance Administrator or scientific and technical data for a proposed project, when complete and functioning effectively, would modify the elevation of individual structures and parcels of land, stream channels, and floodplains on the FIRM. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Condominium": A development consisting of an undivided interest in common for a portion of a parcel coupled with a separate interest in space in a residential, commercial or industrial building on the parcel. (Ord. 763. 1996) 

“Conveyance shadow”: An area upstream or downstream of an existing obstruction to flood flows. (Ord. 1251, 2008)

"County": Douglas County, unless otherwise specified. (Ord. 763, 1996) 

"Critical structures": Any structure for which even a slight chance of flooding would reduce or eliminate its designed function of supporting a community in an emergency. Such structures included but are not limited to fire stations, hospitals, municipal airports, police stations, communication antennas or towers, elderly care facilities, fuel storage facilities, schools designated as emergency shelters, fresh waster and sewage treatment facilities. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Cross lot drainage": A drainage system that conveys site run-off towards the lower lot line which it is captured in a drainage channel, pipe, or similar structure and directed across lot lines to an approval point of discharge, or detention or retention structure. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Curbline": The line at the face of the curb nearest to the street or roadway. In the absence of a curb, the curbline must be established by the county engineer. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Days": Shall always be consecutive calendar days unless otherwise stated. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Dense landscape buffer" or "planting screen": Landscaping which provides screening of incompatible land uses. Landscape material shall be of a type and size that reaches maturity within three years. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Density": The number of dwelling units per gross acre, unless otherwise stated, for residential uses. For the purpose of Transfer Development Rights, “density” shall mean the number of development rights for the parcel in question under current zoning district regulations. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Density transfer": An increase in density on one portion of a property to a level that may exceed the underlying mater plan designation of that portion of the property while maintaining a gross density over the entire property that is consistent with the underlying master plan designation. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Department": The Douglas County Community Development Department, unless otherwise specified. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Design manual": The adopted Douglas County Design Criteria and Improvement Standards manual, unless otherwise specified. (Ord. 871, 1999)

"Designated floodway": The channel of a stream and the portion of the adjoining floodplain designated by a regulatory agency to be kept free of further development to provide for unobstructed passage of flood flows. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Designated official": A person or persons authorized to take final action upon a development permits. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Detached": Any building or structure that does not have a wall or roof in common with any other building or structure. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Developer": The person or persons who have made an application to Douglas County to perform development. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 641, 1994)

"Development": The placement or erection of any solid material or structure; discharge or disposal of any dredged material or any gaseous liquid, solid or thermal waste, grading, removing, dredging, or mining or extraction of any soil or materials; change in the density or intensity of use of land, including, but not limited to any other division of land, change in the intensity of use of water, or of access thereto; construction, reconstruction, demolition, or alteration of the size of any structure including any facility of any private, public or municipal utility; for the purposes of hillside management, any alteration to vegetation. As used in this development code, “structure” includes but is not limited to any building, road, pipe, flume, conduit, siphon, aqueduct, telephone line, and electrical power transmission and distribution line. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 641, 1994; Ord. 331, 1980)

"Development code": A unified text incorporating those areas of regulation more typically presented in separate zoning and subdivision ordinances and related chapters of the county code, hereafter referred to as the “development code.” (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Development right": The right to construct a single-family dwelling, attached or detached. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Directional sign": Any sign that directs traffic or pedestrians to a particular location. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Director": The Director of Community Development or his designee. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Directory sign": A sign designed as a single display, which gives information about the location of business, buildings or addresses within a mobile home, multi-family residential, commercial or industrial complex. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Double-faced sign": Any sign designed to be viewed from two directions and which at no point is thicker than 36 inches measured from exterior surface of each face and the two faces of the sign are either parallel or the angle between them is thirty degrees or less. In calculating sign area, a double-faced sign shall be counted as one sign, with the square footage measured from the largest face. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

"Dwelling': A structure or portion thereof designed for residential occupancy, not including hotels, motels, or boarding houses. (Ord. 1182, 2006; Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 167, 1968)

"Dwelling, multi-family": A structure containing two or more dwelling units or a combination of two or more separate single-family dwellings. (Ord. 1182, 2006; Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 167, 1968)

"Dwelling, single family": A dwelling unit contained within a permanent structure placed on a permanent foundation. These dwellings shall include site-built, manufactured, and modular homes. (Ord. 1182, 2006; Ord. 902. 2000)

"Dwelling unit": A single unit providing complete, independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking, and sanitation. (Ord. 1182, 2006; Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 641, 1968)

"Easement": A grant of one or more property rights by the property owner for the use by the public, a corporation or another person or entity. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 641, 1994)

"Educational institution": A school, college or university, supported wholly or in part by public funds or giving general academic instruction equivalent to the standards prescribed by the State Board of Education. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Electrical distribution": Structures and appurtenant facilities used for the distribution of electric energy in voltages less than 65 kv. (Ord. 801, 1998; Ord. 763, 1996)

"Electric sign": Any sign containing electrical wiring, but not including signs illuminated by an exterior light source. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

"Electric substation": An assemblage of equipment and appurtenant facilities designed for voltage transformation, or voltage control of electricity in amounts of 65 kv or more. (Ord. 801, 1998; Ord. 763, 1996)

"Electric transmission line": A series of three or more structures and appurtenant facilities erected above ground, supporting one or more conductors emanating from a power plant or a substation, designed to transit electric energy in voltages if 65 kv voltes or more. (Ord. 801, 1998; Ord. 763, 1996)

"Encroachment": For the purposes of flood management only, an encroachment is any physical object placed in the floodplain that hinders the passage of water or otherwise affects flood flows, such as fill, excavation, storage or equipment and materials or buildings. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Erect": to building, construct, attach, hang, place, suspend, affix or fabricate, which shall also include painting of wall signs and window signs or other graphics. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Family": One or more persons occupying a dwelling unit and living as a single, nonprofit housekeeping unit; provided that a group of four or more persons who are not within a second degree of consanguinity shall not be deemed to constitute a family.
Notwithstanding the definition in the preceding paragraph, a family shall be deemed to include three or more persons not within the second degree of consanguinity occupying a dwelling unit and living as a single, nonprofit housekeeping unit, if the occupants are handicapped persons as defined in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968, as amended by the Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988. Such unrelated individuals shall have the right to occupy the dwelling unit in the same manner and to the same extend as a family unit as defined in the first paragraph of this definition. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 421, 1984; Ord. 167, 1968)

"Federal Insurance Administration" (FIA): The government unit, a part of Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), that administers the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Fence”: Means a barrier constructed of wood, metal wire, erosion control fabric, boards or other materials and which is intended to demarcates a boundary, separate land uses, secure animals, enclose property, and/or exclude people and animals from a designated area.  Solid fencing is fencing that impairs through vision, is sight obscuring or opaque, and may conflict with vehicle sight distance.  Chain link fencing with privacy slats will be considered solid fencing.  Walls constructed of concrete stone, brick tile, or similar types of solid material are included in the definition of fence.  (Ord. 1405, 2014)

"Federal Register": A document published daily by the Federal Government that provides a uniform system for making available to the public regulations and legal notices issued by federal agencies. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Flag": An article of cloth, paper, or similar lightweight material, varying in size, shape, or design, usually attached at one edge to a staff or cord. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

"Flag, official": The flag of the United States or other officially recognized country, state, governmental agency or Douglas County. (Ord. 919, 2000; Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

"Flash flood": A flood that crests in a short length of time and is often characterized by high velocity flows. It is often the result of heavy rainfall in a localized area. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Flashing sign": An illuminated sign in which artificial light is not maintained in a stationary or constant intensity. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

"Flicker" or "shadow flicker": The effect that results when the shadow cast by the rotating blade of a wind energy system moves across a fixed point. (Ord. 1215, 2007)

"Flood" or "flood waters": A general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of normally dry land areas from the overflow of inland waters; the unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source and mudslides. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 472, 1987)

"Flood boundary and floodway map" (FBFM): An official map of a community where the boundaries of the flood, mudslide and related erosion areas having special hazards have been designated zones A, M, or E. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Flood control": Keeping flood waters away from specific developments or populated areas by the construction of flood storage reservoirs, channel alterations, dikes and levees, bypass channels, or other engineering works. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Flood frequency": A statistical expression of the average time period between floods equaling or exceeding a given magnitude. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Flood insurance rate map" (FIRM): An official map on which the Federal Emergency management Agency (FEMA) has delineated both the areas of special flood hazards and the risk premium zones applicable to the community. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 472, 1987)

"Flood zones": 
    A.  "Flood zone A": Area of special flood hazard without water surface elevations determined. 
    B.  "Flood zones A1-30 & AE": Areas of special flood hazard with water surface elevations determined.
    C.  "Flood zone AO": Area of special flood hazard having shallow water depths or unpredictable flow paths between one and three feet.
    D.  "Flood zone A-99": Area of special flood hazard where enough progress has been made on a protective system, such as dikes, dams, and levees, to consider it complete for insurance rating purposes.
    E.  "Flood zone AH": Area of special flood hazard having shallow water depths or unpredictable flow paths between one and three feet and with water surface elevations determined.
    F.  "Flood zones B & Shaded X": Areas of moderate flood hazard; areas determined to be within the 500-year floodplain, or within the 100-year floodplain of depths of less than one foot.
    G.  "Flood zones C & Unshaded X": Areas of minimal hazard, outside the 100-year floodplain.
    H.  "Flood zone D": Area of undetermined but possible flood hazard.
    I.  "Flood zone M": Area of special mudslide or mudflow hazards. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 641, 1994; Ord. 472, 1987)

"Floodplain and flood-prone area": Any land area susceptible to being inundated by waters from any source. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Floodplain administrator": The individual appointed to administer and enforce the floodplain management regulations. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Floodplain management": The operation of an overall program of corrective and preventive measures for reducing flood damage and preserving and enhancing, where possible, natural resources in the floodplain, including but not limited to emergency preparedness plans, flood control works and floodplain management regulations and ordinances. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Flood proofing": Any combination of structural and nonstructural additions, changes, or adjustments to structures which reduce or eliminate flood damage to real estate or improved property, water and sanitary facilities, structures and the content. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 472, 1987)

"Flood-related erosion": The collapse or subsidence of land along the shore of a lake or other body of water as a result of undermining caused by waves or currents of water exceeding anticipated cyclical levels or suddenly caused by an unusually high water level in a natural body of water, accompanied by a severe storm, or by an unanticipated force or nature, such as a flash flood or an abnormal tidal surge, or by some similarly unusual and unforeseeable event which results in flooding. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Flood-related erosion area management": The operation of an overall program of corrective and preventive measures for reducing flood-related erosion damage, including but not limited to emergency preparedness plans, flood-related erosion control works, and floodplain management regulations. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Flood-related erosion prone area": A land area adjoining the shore of a lake or other body of water, which due to the composition of the shoreline or bank and high water levels or wind-driven currents, is likely to suffer flood-related erosion damage. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Floor area ratio": Determined by dividing the gross floor area of all buildings on a lot by the area of that lot. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Footing": The enlarged base of a foundation wall, pier, or column, designed to spread the load of the structure so that it does not exceed the soil bearing capacity. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Foundation": The underlying structure of a building, usually constructed of concrete, that supports the foundation walls, piers, or columns. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Foundation walls": A support structure that connects the foundation to the main portion of the building or superstructure. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Freeboard": A margin of safety usually expressed in feet above a flood level for purposes of flood plain management. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Freestanding sign": See monument sign. (Ord. 801, 1998; Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

"Front wall": The nearest wall of a structure to the street upon which the structure faces, but excluding cornices, canopies, eaves, or any other architectural embellishments. (Ord. 763, 1996) Frontage: The side of a lot abutting a street (the front lot line). (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 641, 1994)

"Frontage of property": The longest single, lineal dimension of a parcel of property abutting on a public street. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

"Fuel break": A strategically located strip or block of land, varying in width, on which vegetation has been modified to provide a safer place for fire fighters to work and to help reduce the rate of fire spread. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Garage": An enclosed building, or a portion of an enclosed building used for the parking of vehicles, and not designed for human habitation. (Ord. 801, 1998; Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 167, 1968)

"Gas distribution line": Mains, services, equipment and appurtenant facilities which carry or control the supply of gas from the point of local supply to and including the sales meter. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Gas regulator station": As assemblage of equipment which reduces, regulates and meters natural gas pressure in the transmission line, holder, main, pressure vessel or the compressor station piping. This may include auxiliary equipment such as valves, control instruments or control lines as well as piping. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Grade": The degree of rise or descent of a sloping surface expressed as a ratio or percentage (see Slope). (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Graphics": The noninternally illuminated decoration of the exterior of a building or site which murals, art work, statuary, and the like, not containing a commercial message, trademark, logo type, brand name, or the like. (Ord. 801, 1998; Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

"Ground cover": Plants, other than turf grass, normally reaching an average maximum height of not more than two feet at maturity. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Grubbing": The clearing of roots and stumps. (Ord. 801, 1998)

"Halfway house": A rehabilitation center where people who have left an institution, such as a prison or a hospital, are helped to readjust to the outside world. This definition excludes those that fall under the definition of family as defined in this appendix. (Ord. 845, 1998; Ord. 801, 1998)

"Hanging sign": A sign attached to and located below any eave, roof, canopy or awning. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Hearing body": The appointed or elected person or person authorized to render a final decision on any development application. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Hedge": A landscape barrier consisting of a continuous, dense planting of shrubs. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Height of structure": The vertical distance from any part of the structure to the natural grade below, excluding chimneys and vents. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Highest adjacent grade": The highest natural elevation of ground surface prior to construction next to the proposed walls of a structure. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Hillside area": Any property containing slope areas of 15 percent or greater as designated on the Master Plan slope constraint maps. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Holiday decoration": Decorations commonly associated with any national, local or religious holiday. (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Home occupation”: A business conducted as an accessory use to a principal residential dwelling which is occupied by the business owner. (Ord. 1374, 2012; Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 343, 1980; Ord. 167, 1968)

"Horizontal and vertical building envelopes": The maximum width and height of a structure based on minimum setback requirements and maximum building height limitations for the zone within which the project is located. These envelopes may be utilized to evaluate visual impacts when specific architectural plans are not provided for subdivision review. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Hotel": Guest rooms or suites occupied on a transient basis, with most rooms gaining access from an interior hallway and with no provisions for cooking in an individual unit. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 167, 1968)

"Hydrodynamic loads": Forces imposed on structures by floodwaters due to the impact moving water on the upstream side of the structure, drag along its sides, and eddies or negative pressures on its downstream side. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Hydrology": The science of the behavior of water in the atmosphere, on the earth’s surface, and underground. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Hydrostatic loads": Forces imposed on a flooded structure due to the weight of the water. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Illuminated, exterior": The lighting of a sign or sign structure by lights shining onto the surface of the sign. (Ord. 763, 1996, Ord. 386, 1981)

"Illuminated, interior": The lighting of a sign or sign structure by lights contained within the sign, and shining out through the translucent surfaces of the sign. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

"Inaugurate": The issuance of a building permit or site improvement permit. (Ord. 1319, 2010; Ord. 763, 1996)

"Incombustible material": Any material which will meet the requirements of the Uniform Building Code or approved standards for Douglas County. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

"Incompatibility of land uses": The proximity or direct association of contradictory, incongruous, or discordant land use or activities, including the impact of noise, traffic, vibration, smoke, odors, and other similar environmental conditions. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Independent congregate senior living community":  An independent living community that entails private dwelling units/apartments designed for an adult population aged 55 years and older that may include some supportive services including, but not limited to, meals, housekeeping, home health, and other supportive services.  A number of common facilities, including kitchen facilities, club houses, pools, health facilities, and other personal services may be provided on the site.  (Ord. 1279, 2009)

“Indoor Gun Range”: An enclosed facility or area used for archery or the shooting of firearms, whether for practice or sport.  (Ord. 1419, 2014)

"Inflatable sign or inflatable device": Any device, or grouping of balloons, larger than six feet in its longest dimension which is supported by air pressure or inflated with air or gas which is used to attract the attention of the public, whether or not it displays any specific advertising message. (Ord. 801, 1998; Ord. 763, 1996)

 "Internal driveway": For purposes of determining monument sign placement for a parcel of record located within a commercial or industrial complex, an internal driveway is a driveway or drive aisle located internal to the complex which provides access to the parcel and which does not abut or front on a public street. (Ord. 870, 1999)

"Irrigation system": A permanent, artificial watering system designed to transport and distribute water to plants. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Junk yard and salvage facilities": Primary or accessory use of structures or land for storage, dismantling or selling of cast-off, unused, scrap or salvage material of any sort. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 167, 1968)

"Kiosk": A small, freestanding structure permanently affixed to the ground, requiring a building permit, which may have one or more surfaces used to display one or more advertising signs. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Kitchen": Any room, all or part of which is designed or used for storage, refrigeration, cooking and the preparation of food. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 167, 1968)

"Lake Tahoe region": That portion of the Lake Tahoe basin in Douglas County, Nevada, as delineated on the official maps of the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 353, 1980)

"Land use zoning district": A portion of the county within which certain uses of land and structures are defined, and regulations are specified. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Landscaping": Any combination of living plants such as grass, ground cover, shrubs, flowers, vines, hedges, or trees, and nonliving landscape material such as rocks, pebbles, sand, mulch, bark, walls, fences, and decorative paving materials (excluding driveways, parking, loading, or storage areas), and sculptural elements. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Letter of map amendment" (LOMA): The procedure by which any owner or lessee of property who believes his property has been inadvertently included in a special flood hazard may submit scientific and technical information to the Federal Insurance Administrator for review to remove the property from said area. The administrator will not consider a LOMA if the information submitted is based on alteration of topography or new hydrologic or hydraulic conditions since the effective date of the FIRM. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Letter of map revision" (LOMR): The procedures by which contractors, developers, and communities can request changes to flood zones, floodplain and floodway delineations, flood elevations, and planimetric features based on the results of structural works, improvements, or annexations; resulting in additional flood hazard areas. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Levee": A man-made structure, usually an earthen embankment, designed and constructed in accordance with sound engineering practices to contain, control, or divert the flow of water so as to provide protection from temporary flooding. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Levee system": A flood protection system which consists of a levee, or levees, and associated structures, such as closure and drainage devices, which are constructed and operated in accord with sound engineering practices. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Level building site": A site contained wholly within the buildable area, of a dimension not less than 30 feet by 40 feet, to accommodate the main structure, required off-street parking, and drainage resulting from said improvements. Slope of the level building site shall not exceed 10 percent. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Lighting, direct": Illuminating a sign or sign structure by a light source seen directly. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

"Lighting, indirect": The illumination of a sign or sign structure by a light source not directly seen. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

"Livable area": Interior floor area of a residential use which includes bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens, closets, but excludes garages. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Lot": A parcel, tract or area of land established by plat, subdivision, or as otherwise permitted by law, to be used, developed or built upon and which abuts upon a legal means of access. The classifications of lots are: 
    A.  "Corner": A lot located at the intersection of two or more streets at an angle or not more than 135 degrees. If the angle is greater that 135 degrees, the lot shall be considered an “interior lot.” 
    B.  "Flag": A lot having access or an easement to a public or private street by a narrow, private right-of-way. 
    C.  "Interior": A lot abutting only one street. 
    D.  "Key": A lot with a side line that abuts the rear line of any one or more adjoining lots.

    E.  "Reverse corner": A corner lot, the rear of which abuts the side of another lot. 
    F.  "Through": A lot having frontage on two generally parallel sheets, with only one primary access. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 641, 1994; Ord. 167, 1968; Ord. 158, 1967)

"Lot area": The total horizontal area included within the lot lines of a lot. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Lot depth": The average distance between the front and rear lot lines or between the front line and the intersection of the two side lines, if there is no real line. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Lot frontage": The portion of the lot contiguous to the street. (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Lot line": Any boundary of a lot. The classification of lot lines are: 
        “Front”: On an interior lot, the line separating the parcel from the street.  On a corner lot, both lot lines abutting a street.  On a through lot, the lot line abutting the street providing the primary access to the lot.
        “Interior”: Any lot line not abutting a street.
         “Rear”: A lot line, not intersecting a front lot line, which is most distant from and most closely parallel to the front lot line.  In the case of an irregularly shaped lot or a lot bounded by only three lot lines, a line within the lot having a length of at least ten feet, parallel to and most distant from the front lot line shall be interpreted as the rear lot line for the purpose of determining required yards, setbacks, and other provisions of this code.
          “Side”: Any lot line which is not a front or rear lot line.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 167, 1968)

“Lot width”: The horizontal distance between the side lot lines, measured at right angles to the lot depth at a midway point between the front and rear lot lines.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 167, 1968)

“Lowest floor”: In Special Flood Hazard Areas or X-shaded flood zones, the lowest floor is determined based on the following type of construction methods:  (Ord. 1251, 2008; Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 472, 1987)
         “Below grade crawlspace construction”: Subgrade enclosures are prohibited that are not constructed to meet the provisions of section 20.50.120.  If constructed to meet section 20.50.120 the lowest floor is the top of the subfloor.  (Ord. 1251, 2008)
           “Crawlspace construction placed on fill”: The lowest floor is the bottom of the crawlspace.  (Ord. 1251, 2008)
           “Manufactured homes”: The lowest floor for manufactured homes is the base of the manufactured home including all duct work, and electrical wiring, etc., providing that the skirting or foundation is wet floor proofed (vented).  (Ord. 1251, 2008)
            “Slab on grade construction”: the lowest floor is the top of the slab.  (Ord. 1251, 2008)
            “Structures with basements”: The lowest floor is the top of the basement slab.  An unfinished or flood resistant enclosure used solely for paring of vehicles, access, or storage in an area other than a basement areas, is not considered a building’s lowest floor.  (Ord. 1251, 2008)

“Main structure”: A structure used for the principal use of the property as distinguished from an accessory use.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Manufactured home”: A residential dwelling built in accordance with the Federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards.  For floodplain administration purposes, the term manufactured home also includes travel trailers and other similar vehicles placed on a site for greater than one hundred eighty consecutive days.  (Ord. 902, 2000; Ord. 801, 1998; Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 633, 1994; Ord. 472, 1987; Ord. 167, 1968; Ord. 131, 1963)

“Manufactured home park or subdivision”: A parcel or contiguous parcels of land divided into two or more manufactured home lots or sites for rent or sale.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 472, 1987; Ord. 167, 1968)

“Manufactures home (mobile home) park or subdivision, existing”: A manufactured home park or subdivision for which the construction of facilities for servicing the lots on which the manufactured homes are to be affixed, including, at a minimum, the installation of utilities, the construction of streets, and either final site grading or the pouring of concrete pads, is completed before the effective date of the floodplain management regulations adopted by a community.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Manufactured home (mobile home) park or subdivision, expansion to”: The preparation of additional sites by the construction of facilities for servicing the lots on which the manufactured homes are to be affixed, including the installation of utilities, construction of streets, and either final site grading or the pouring of concrete pads.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Manufactured home (mobile home) park or subdivision, new”: A manufactured home park or subdivision for which the construction of facilities for servicing the lots on which the manufactured homes are to be affixed, including, at a minimum, the installation of utilities, the construction of streets, and either final site grading or the pouring of concrete pads, is completed on or after the effective date of the floodplain management regulation adopted by the county.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Manufactured slope”: A man-made slope created by grading that consists wholly of cut or filled material.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Marijuana establishment”: Means a marijuana cultivation facility, a marijuana testing facility, a marijuana product manufacturing facility, a marijuana distributor, or a retail marijuana store.  The facility or establishments listed above are further defined in NRS 453D.030 Regulation and Taxation of Marijuana, which said definitions are hereby incorporated.  (Ord. 1481, 2017)

“Master sign plan”: An architectural design plan describing the content of all proposed signs in terms of size, shape, materials, colors, lettering style, placement, lighting, and the like, to set forth a basic identity for each unit of operation for a business complex.  A master sign plan is required for a commercial or industrial complex containing three or more units of operation.  Upon approval, the master sign plan must apply to all units of operation.  Upon approval, the master sign plan must apply to all units of operation within the business complex.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 3867, 1981)

“Mean sea level”: For the purposes of the National Flood Insurance Program, the National Geodetic Vertical Datum (NGVD) of 1928 or other datum, to which base flood elevations shown on a community’s Flood Insurance Rate Map are referenced.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Median”: A paved or planted area separating a street or highway into two or more lanes of opposite direction of travel.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Medical marijuana establishments”: means (1) an independent testing laboratory to test marijuana or marijuana products, (2) a cultivation facility for marijuana, (3) a facility for the production of edible marijuana products or marijuana-infused products, (4) a medical marijuana dispensary, or a business that has registered with the Division of Public and Behavioral Health of the Department of Health and Human Services and paid the requisite fees to act as more than one of the businesses or establishments listed in sections (2), (3) or (4) above.  The business or establishment listed in sections (1), (2), (3) and (4) are further defined in NRS Chapter 453A Medical Use of Marijuana and said definitions are hereby incorporated.  (Ord. 1418, 2014) 

“Mixed-use development”: The development of parcels or structures with two or more different land uses such as, but not limited to, a combination of residential, office, manufacturing, retail, public or entertainment in a single or physically integrated group of structures.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Mobile sign”: A sign attached to or suspended from any type of vehicle.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

“Modular home”: A structure intended for residential use and manufactured off-site in accordance with all other codes adopted by Douglas County.  (Ord. 902, 2000)

“Monument sign”: An independent structure supported from a maximum of two feet above grade to the bottom of the sign with a solid base of at least 80% of the total sign structure width.  (Ord. 850, 1998; Ord. 763, 1996)

“Motel”: Guest rooms or suites occupied on a transient basis, with most rooms gaining access from an exterior walkway and with no provisions for cooking in an individual unit.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 167, 1968)

“Mudslide”: A condition where there is a river, flow or inundation of liquid mud down a hillside usually as a result of a dual condition of loss of brush cover, and the subsequent accumulation of water on the ground preceded by a period of unusually heavy or sustained rain.  A mudslide may occur as a distinct phenomenon while a landslide is in progress, and will be recognized as such by the Federal Insurance Administrator only if the mudflow, and not the landslide, is the proximate cause of damage that occurs.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Mulch”: Nonliving organic and synthetic materials customarily used in landscape design to retard erosion and retain moisture.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“National geodetic vertical datum (NGVD)”: As corrected in 1929, is a vertical control used as a reference for establishing varying elevations within the floodplain.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Natural area”: A land area, unimproved and not occupied by any structures or manmade elements, set aside for the conservation of permanent, undisturbed open space.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Natural drainage”: Water which flows by gravity in channels by the surface topography of the earth prior to changes made by the efforts of man.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Natural grade”: The grade unaffected by construction techniques such as fill, landscaping, or berming.  (Ord. 1251, 2008)

“NAVD88”: North American Vertical Datum of 1988.  (Ord. 1251, 2008)

“NGVD29”: National Geodetic Vertical Datum of 1929.  (Ord. 1251, 2008)

“Net consumptive use”: Net consumptive use means that portion of irrigation water applied to vegetation which is consumed and removed from the local hydrological environment by evaporation or transpiration.  The Alpine decree has interpreted the net consumptive use of surface water for irrigation of the lands above Lahontan Reservoir (including Carson Valley) to be 2.5 acre-feet per acre.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 497, 1989)

“Net site area”: The total area within the lot lines of a lot or parcel of land after public street easements or other areas to be dedicated or reserved for public use are deducted from such lot or parcel.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“New construction”: For floodplain management purposes, structures for which “the start of construction” commenced on or after the effective date of the floodplain management regulations adopted by the county, and includes any subsequent improvements so such structures, where the construction involves an increase in gross floor area of greater than 100 square feet.  (Ord. 801, 1998; Ord. 763, 1996)

“Noncommercial sign”: Any sign which is intended to convey a noncommercial message of social, political, educational, religious or charitable commentary.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Nonconforming, illegal”: A structure, lot, or use which did not conform to applicable laws when constructed or initiated, and does not conform to the provisions of the current development code.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Nonconforming lot”: A lot, the area, frontage or dimensions of which do not conform to the provisions of the current development code.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Nonconforming sign”: A sign which may have been validly installed under laws or ordinances in effect prior to the effective date of the ordinance codified in this title, but which is not in conflict with the provisions of this title.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord 386, 1981)

“Nonconforming structure”: A structure which conformed to applicable laws when constructed but does not conform to the provisions of the current development code.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Nonconforming use”: A use which conformed to the applicable laws when established but does not conform to the provisions of the current development code.     (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Nonrestricted license”: A gaming license which permits the operation of more than fifteen slot machines and other games.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 353, 1980)

“NRS”: Nevada Revised Statutes.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Nude”: A person completely without clothing or covering.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Obstruction”: Includes, but is not limited to, any dam, wall, wharf, embankment, levee, dike, pile, abutment, protection, excavation, channelization, bridge, conduit, culvert, building, wire, fence, rock, gravel refuse, fill, structure, vegetation or other material in, along, across or projecting into any watercourse which propensity to snare or collect debris carried by the flow of water, or its likelihood of being carried downstream.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Off-premises sign”: A sign, including portable sandwich or A-frame signs, which advertises or informs about goods, products, services or uses not directly concerning the use on the property upon which the sign is located.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

“On-premises sign”: Any sign which advertises goods sold, manufactured or produced, service or uses rendered on the property upon which the sign is located, or the name of the business enterprise.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Open space”: All areas of natural plant communities or areas replanted with vegetation after construction including but not limited to revegetated natural areas, trees, shrubs, hedges, lawn, and ground cover planting areas, which provide light and air and are designed for either environmental, scenic, amenity, or recreational purposes.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Ornamental tree”: A deciduous tree planted primarily for its ornamental value or for screening purposes; tends to be smaller at maturity than a shade tree.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Parcel”: A parcel of land under one ownership that has been legally subdivided or combined.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 167, 1968) 

“Parking areas”: Those are including parking lots, driveways, drive aisles, loading and unloading spaces, and all other areas necessary to move vehicles in and out of required parking spaces.  (Ord. 801, 1998)

“Parking lot sales”: See Sidewalk and parking lot sales.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Parkway”: The area of a public right-of-way that lies between the curb and the adjacent property line or physical boundary definition such as fences or walls, which is used for landscaping or passive recreational purposes.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Pennant”: A piece of cloth, plastic, paper, or other such material varying in size, shape or design, erected as an advertising device to draw attention to the site where located.  (Ord. 763, 1998; Ord. 386, 1981)

“Permanent sign”: Any sign which from the nature and effect of its proposed composition, construction, the message to be carried or its proposed placement, would make it reasonable to determine that it was intended for continuous display for a period of time greater than 90 calendar days.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

“Permitted use”: Any use allowed in a land use zoning district and subject to the provisions applicable to that district.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Person”: Any individual, firm, copartnership, joint venture, association, social club, fraternal organization, company, joint stock association, corporation, estate, trust, organization, business, business trust, public agency, school district, State of Nevada, and its political subdivisions or instrumentalities, receiver, syndicate or any group or combination thereof, acting as a unit, including any trustee, receiver or assignee.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

“Planned development (PD)”: A type of development characterized by comprehensive planning for the project as a whole, clustering of structures to preserve usable open space and other natural features, and a mixture of housing types within the prescribed densities.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Portable freestanding sandwich or “A-frame” type sign”: A sign that is designed to be moveable and is not structurally attached to the ground, a building, a structure or any other sign.  Such sign may or may not be in the configuration of an “A.”  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

“Political sign”: A sign designed for the purpose of advertising support of or opposition to a candidate or proposition at a public election.   (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

“Post-FIRM Construction”: Construction or substantial improvement that started on or after the effective date of the initial Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) of the community or after March 28, 1980, whichever is later.  (Ord. 1251, 2008)

“Predeveloped adjacent grade”: The natural elevation of ground surface prior to construction next to the proposed walls of a structure.  (Ord. 801, 1998)

“Pre-FIRM Construction”: Construction or substantial improvement which started on or before March 28, 1980 or before the effective date of the initial Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) of the community, whichever is later.  (Ord. 1251, 2008)

“Pre-lease sign”: A sign placed upon real property advertise the availability of lease space for an unconstructed building or development site.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Principal use”: The primary or predominant use of any parcel, building or structure.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Processing facility”: A building or enclosed space used for the collection and processing of recyclable materials to prepare for either efficient shipment, or to an end-user’s specifications by such means as baling, briquetting, compacting, flattening, grinding, crushing, mechanical sorting, shredding, cleaning and remanufacturing.  Processing facilities include the following:
        a. “Light processing facility”: Occupies an area of under 45,000 square feet of collection, processing and storage area, and averages two outbound truck shipments per day.  Light processing facilities are limited to baling, briquetting, crushing, compacting, grinding, shredding and sorting of source separated recyclable materials sufficient to qualify as a certified processing facility.  A light processing facility shall not shred, compact, or bale ferrous metals other than food and beverage containers.
        b. “Heavy processing facility”: Any processing facility other than a light-processing facility.    (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Professional sign”: A sign indicating the name and occupation of a professional person or group.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

“Project”: See Development.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Projecting building sign”: Any sign other than a sign mounted flush to a wall which projects more than 12 inches from and is supported by a wall or roof of a building, structure or sign structure, and projects beyond the eaves of a building.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

“Public park”: A park, playground, swimming pool, beach, pier, reservoir, golf course or athletic field within the County which is under the control, operation, or management of the county, state, or other political subdivision.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Public right-of-way”: A strip of land acquired by reservation, dedication, purchase, prescription, or condemnation and intended to be occupied by a road, trail, water line, sanitary sewer or other public uses. (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 641, 1994)

“Public safety, nuisance”: Related to variances of this title.  The granting of a variance must not result in anything which is injurious to safety or health of the community or neighborhood, or any considerable number of persons, or unlawfully obstructs the free passage or use, in the customary manner, or any way, navigable lake, river, bay stream or canal, or basin.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Public View”: Means plainly visible from the public right-of-way, or from any adjacent public or private property.  Items enclosed and visually obscured within a structure, or within a lawful fence or wall are not considered to be in public view.  (Ord. 1405, 2014)

“Quarry”: A place where rock, ore, stone and similar materials are excavated, processed for sale or for off site use.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Reader board or changeable copy sign”: See Changeable copy sign.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Real property sign”: A sign placed upon real property to advertise that the property upon which the sign is placed, or any piece or any interests therein, is for sale, exchange, lease, or rent.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

“Receiving parcel”: A parcel of real property situated in a receiving area, designated as such by the 1996 Master Plan, as amended.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Recreational vehicle (RV)”: A vehicle towed or self-propelled on its own chassis or attached to the chassis of another vehicle and designed primarily not for use as a permanent dwelling but as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, travel, or seasonal use.  The term recreational vehicle includes, but it not limited to, travel trailers, pick-up campers, camping trailers, motor coach homes, converted trucks or buses, boats and boat trailers, utility and all terrain vehicles.  (Ord. 801, 1998; Ord. 763, 1996)

“Recycling”: The process by which waste products are reduced to raw material and transformed into new products.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Repetitive loss”: Flood-related damages sustained by a structure on two separate occasions during a 10-year period for which the cost of repairs at the time of each said event, on the average, equals or exceeds 25 percent of the market value of the structure before the damage occurred.  (Ord. 1251, 2008)

“Restricted use area”: An area that is retained in its existing state and is restricted from all development (due to proximity to a hazard or environmentally sensitive area pursuant to 20,690.030.Y.5) except for hiking trails, provided such trails neither create nor increase a public hazard.  The use restrictions exclude minimal grading required to construct public utility services or roadways to adjacent properties where no technically feasible alternative route or construction method exists.  (Ord. 801, 1998)

“Reverse vending machine (recycling)”: An automated mechanical device which accepts at least one or more types of empty beverage containers including, but not limited to aluminum cans, glass, and plastic bottles, and issues a cash refund or a redeemable credit slip with a value not less than the container’s redemption value as determined by the state.  A reverse vending machine may sort and process containers mechanically provided that the entire process is enclosed within the machine.  In order to accept and temporarily store all container types in a proportion commensurate with their relative redemption rates, and to meet the requirements of certification as a recycling facility, multiple grouping of reverse vending machines may be necessary.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Review authority”: The person, committee, commission or board responsible for the review or final action on a land use issue.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Ridge line”: A ground line connecting the series of highest elevation points or a ridge, running center and parallel to the long axis of the ridge.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Right-of-way”: See Public right-of-way.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Riverine”: Relating to, formed by, or resembling a river including but not limited to tributaries, streams, and brooks (also known as lotic).  (Ord. 1251, 2008; Ord. 763, 1996)

“Roof sign”: A sign erected upon a roof, the ridge of a roof, or parapet of a building or structure and extending above the highest portion of the roof.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

“Roof-mounted sign”: A sign erected upon a roof of a building and extending no higher than the highest portion of the roof.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

“Roofing square”: 100 square feet of roofing surface.  (Ord. 801, 1998)

“Salvage”: See Junk and salvage facilities.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Sandwich sign”: A flat sign composed of one or more boards attached together, with supports enabling the sign to stand upright.  It is designed to be a moveable unit.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Screening”: A method for reducing the impact of noise and unsightly visual intrusions with less offensive or more harmonious elements, such as plants, berms, fences, walls or any appropriate combination thereof.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Seminude”: A person whose specified anatomical areas are less than completely and opaquely covered or who appears to have human male genitals which are in a discernibly turgid state, even if completely and opaquely covered.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Sending parcel”: A parcel of real property situated in the A-19 or FR-19 zoning districts.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Setback”: The required distance that a building, structure, parking or other designated item must be located from a lot line.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 167, 1968)

“Sexually oriented business”: means any of the following:
        1. Any business wherein the preponderant business is the offering of services, materials, goods or products which are characterized by an emphasis on matter depicting, describing, or relating to nude or semi-nude persons or specified sexual activities between persons for observation by patrons.  These businesses shall include, but  not be limited to, adult bookstores, adult video stores, picture arcades showing adult entertainment pictures, adult motion picture theaters or other similar businesses;
        2. Any business which utilizes or encourages sexual arousal, sexual gratification or sexual stimulation of a customer or prospective customer in connection with the sale or offering for sale of services, goods, or materials.  These businesses shall include, but not be limited to, unlicensed massage establishments, Turkish baths, nude or semi-nude modeling studios, businesses using nude or semi-nude models in offering lingerie or intimate apparel for sale, sexual catharsis centers, sexual encounter establishments, bondage or discipline parlors, escort bureaus and introductory services, or other similar businesses; or
        3. Any business, having as a portion of its goods for sale, products which replicate or are designed to simulate specified anatomical areas, and which are designed to be placed on specified anatomical areas to cause sexual excitement.  These businesses shall include, but not be limited to, sexual novelty stores or other similar businesses.
This definition of adult business does not apply, nor shall it be interpreted to apply, to any business conducted, operated by or employing licensed chiropractors, licensed physicians, licensed physical therapists, licensed massage therapists, licensed psychologists, licensed social workers or licensed marriage family counselors when performing functions under or pursuant to their respective licenses.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 378, 1981)

“Shade tree”: A deciduous tree planted primarily for its high crown of foliage or overhead canopy.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Shrub”: A woody plant, smaller than a tree, consisting of several small stems from the ground or small branches near the ground; may be deciduous or evergreen.  (Ord. 763, 1996)     

“Sidewalk or parking lot sale”: A promotional sales event conducted by one or more businesses which is held outside the confines of the commercial or manufacturing structures in which such business is normally conducted and which sale involves the outdoor display within a paved or concrete area on the same lot as the structures of merchandise which is normally displayed within the structures.  Sale events shall be conducted solely on private property and not encroach within public rights-of-way.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Sign”: Includes every sign, billboard, freestanding sign, portable freestanding and sandwich sign, wall sign, roof sign, window sign, illuminated sign, projecting sign, temporary sign, and street clock, and includes any announcement, declaration, demonstration, display, internally-illuminated or back-lit trim, roof lines and awnings, illustration or insignia used to advertise or promote the interest of any person when the same is placed so that it is clearly visible to the general public from an out-of-doors position, excluding graphics.  (Ord. 801, 1998; Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981; Ord. 167, 1968)

“Sign area”: That area as determined by circumscribing the exterior limits of the mass of each display with a rectangle connecting all exterior points.  The sign area does not include the sign’s architectural features.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

“Sign structure”: The supports, uprights, braces, and framework of the sign.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

“Sign tower”: A tower erected for the specific purpose of supporting a sign or having a sign attached flat against the face or faces.  The tower may or may not be an integral part of the building.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

“Site specific planting”: The selection of plant materials that is particularly well suited to withstand the physical growing conditions that are normal to northern Nevada.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Slope”: See Grade.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

"Slope face”: The slopes located directly below, and leading up to the crest of a significant ridgeline or prominent landform.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Slope percentage”: Equals “rise” times 100 divided by “run” (rise x 100/run).  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Small lot subdivision”: Limited lot size subdivision (5,000 square foot minimum lot size) for single-family detached dwellings.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Solar facilities”: A solar energy system which absorbs energy from the sun.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Special flood hazard area”: An area having special flood, mudslide, or flood-related erosion hazards, and shown on a FHBM or F IRM as zones A, AO, A1-A30, AE, A99, E or M.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Special Occasion Home”: A single-family detached dwelling which is owner-occupied and contains historic features and which is made available to the general public on a for-profit basis for special events.  (Ord. 1381, 2013)

“Special point of interest”: An on-premise or off-premise sign located at cultural, historic, tourist, or recreational points of interest.   (Ord. 1009, 2002)

 "Special use permit”: A discretionary permit which may be granted under the provisions of this development code and which when granted authorizes a specific use to be made of a specific property, subject to compliance with all terms and conditions imposed by the board.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Specified anatomical area”: means any of the following:
        1. The human genitals or the human pubic region;
        2. The perineum or any portion of the crease of the human buttocks; or
        3. Fondling or other erotic touching of human genitals, pubic region, buttocks, or female breasts.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“State”: The State of Nevada, unless otherwise specified.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Storage”: A space or place where goods, materials or personal property is put for more than 24 hours.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Story”: That portion of a building included between the surface of any floor and the surface of the floor next above it, or if there is no floor above it, then the space between such floor and the ceiling above it.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Street”: Any public or private thoroughfare, which affords a primary means of access to abutting property.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 167, 1968)

        1. A combination of materials forming an edifice or building of any kind, or any piece of work artificially built or composed of parts joined together in some definite manner, but excluding the following:
            a. Fences not more than six feet in height;
            b. Retaining walls;
            c. Platforms or decks not more than 30 inches above grade and not over any basement or story below;
            d. Utility mains, lines and underground facilities; and
            e. Yard and play equipment.
        2. A permanent structure is built of materials in a manner which would commonly be expected to remain useful for a substantial period of time.
        3. A temporary structure is built of materials in a manner which would commonly be expected to have a relatively short useful life, or is built for a purpose that would be expected to be relatively short-term in duration.
        4. For the purposes of flood management, a structure shall be a walled and roofed building that is principally above ground and includes gas or liquid storage tank and manufactured homes.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 641, 19945; Ord. 472, 1987; Ord. 386, 1981)

“Structure, principal”: A structure in which the principal use is conducted.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Studio (photography, portrait and art)”: An artist’s or photographer’s workplace or establishment, where the artist’s or photographer’s work may be displayed and sold.  (Ord. 801, 1998)

“Subdivision development plan”: Specific development plans for an approved tentative parcel or subdivision map, including plot plans, building elevations, grading plans and landscape plans applicable to individual lots within the tentative map.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Substantial damage”: Damage of any origin sustained by a structure where the cost of restoring the structure to its before damage condition would equal or exceed 50 percent of the market value of the structure before the damage occurred.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Substantial improvement”: Any reconstruction, rehabilitation, addition, or improvement to a structure, the cost of which equals or exceeds 50 percent of the market value of the structure before the “start of construction” of the improvement.  This term includes structures which have incurred substantial damage, regardless of the actual repair work performed.  The term does not, however, include either:
        1. Any project for improvement of a structure to correct existing violations or state or local health, sanitary, or safety code specifications which have been identified by the local code enforcement official and which are the minimum necessary to assure safe living conditions, or
        2. Any alteration of a “historic structure,” provided that the alteration will not preclude the structure’s continued designation as a “historic structure.”  (Ord. 1251, 2008; Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 472, 1987; Ord. 331, 1980)

“Temporary sign”: Any sign or advertising display intended to be displayed for a period of not more than90 calendar days.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

“Temporary use”: A use established for a specified period of time, with the intent to discontinue the use at the end of the designated time period.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Total system height”: The vertical height from existing grade to the hightest possible point of a wind energy conversion system.(Ord. 1313, 2010; Ord. 1215, 2007)

“Trade construction sign”: A sign listing one or more persons or firms participating in development, construction, or financing of a project.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

“Traffic regulation sign”: Any sign that regulates the speed, direction, or flow of traffic on a site.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

“Traffic safety sight area”: That portion of both public and private property located at any corner and bounded by the curb line or edge of a roadway of the intersecting streets and a line joining points on the curb or edge of roadway 45 feet from the point of intersection of the extended curb lines or edges of the roadway (see figure below).  (Ord. 763, 1996)



“Transient basis”: A period of 21 days or less during any 30-day period.  (Ord. 801, 1998; Ord. 763, 1996)

“Tree”: A large, woody plant having one or several self-supporting stems or trunks and numerous branches.  May be classified as deciduous or evergreen.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Truck, pickup”: A vehicle with a maximum height of 10 feet and a length of 22 feet, with the capacity to carry a maximum of 6 passengers and containing an attached sided but unenclosed cargo area.  Pickup trucks have the capacity to carry an enclosed camper with the cargo area.  This definition does not include tow-trucks, which is a “commercial vehicle”.  (Ord. 801, 1998)

“Understory”: Assemblages of natural low-level woody, herbaceous, and ground cover species which exist in the area below the canopy of the trees.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Unit of operation”: An individual and separate unit of activity or function within a building, such as a single shop within a business complex or a single business occupying an entire building.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord 386, 1981)

“Use”: The purpose (type and extent) for which land or a building is arranged, designed, or intended, or for which either land or a structure is occupied or maintained.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Value”: The cost of replacing a sign with one of like material and workmanship.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

“Variance”: A discretionary approval which permits the departure from the strict application of the development standards contained in the current development code.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Vegetation, native”: Any plant species with a geographic distribution indigenous to all or part of the state of Nevada.  Plant species which have been introduced by man are not native vegetation.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Vehicle, Commercial”: See Commercial vehicle.  (Ord. 801, 1998)

“Vehicle sales lot”: An open area used for the display, sale, or rental of new or used motorized vehicles.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Wall sign”: A sign mounted on an exterior wall of a building intended to be viewed from outside the building.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Water surface elevation”: The height, in relation to the national geodetic vertical datum (NGVD) of 1929, or other datum, where specified of floods of various magnitudes and frequencies in the floodplains of costal or riverine areas.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Watercourse”: A lake, river, creek, stream, wash, arroyo, channel, or other topographic feature on or over which waters flow at least periodically.  A watercourse includes specifically designated areas in which substantial flood damage may occur.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Wet bar”:  A room or portion thereof containing not more than a single bar-sized sink, a refrigerator with a maximum of five cubic feet of storage, a microwave oven, a countertop of no more than five lineal feet, no more than five lineal feet of upper cabinets, and no more than five lineal feet of lower cabinets.  A wet bar shall not include a gas or electric range, stove top or oven.  (Ord. 1182, 2006; Ord. 851, 1998)

“Wind energy conversion system"  An electrical generating facility consisting of a tower, a wind turbine generator with rotating blades, guy wires and anchors, and associated control and conversion electronic equipment to convert wind movement into electricity, and that is incidential and subordinate to another use on the same parcel.  The energy may be used on-site or distributed into the electrical grid. (Ord. 1313, 2010; Ord. 1215, 2007)

“Wind energy conversion system, commercial”: A WECS with a total system height more than 400 feet and that is intended to produce electricity to sell for consumption. (Ord. 1215, 2007)

“Wind energy conversion system, commercial use test site”:  The electrical equipment, such as anemometers or pyranometers, which measures wind and solar energy potential.  Test sites may include communication devices, towers, guy wires and anchors, and other associated controls to measure, monitor and report wind and solar energy data. (Ord. 1215, 2007)

“Wind turbine”: A wind conversion system that converts wind energy into electricity through the use of a wind turbine generator, and includes the nacelle, rotor, tower, and pad transformer, if any.  (Ord. 1215, 2007)

“Window sign”: A sign maintained in or painted upon a window, intended to be viewed from outside the window.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 386, 1981)

“Wireless communications”: Any personal wireless services as defined in the Federal Telecommunications Act of 1996, as amended, which includes FCC-licensed commercial wireless telecommunications services including but not limited to cellular, personal communications services (PCS), specialized mobile radio (SMR), enhanced specialized mobile radio (ESMR), paging and similar services that currently exit or that may be developed in the future.  (Ord. 871, 1999)

“Xeriscape”: Landscape methods which conserve water through the use of drought-tolerant plants and planting techniques.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Yard, front”: A clear, unoccupied space on the same lot with a building, extending across the entire width of the lot and situated between the building and the front lot line of the parcel.  For corner lots, the front yard shall be determined as follows:
    1. The narrowest street frontage shall be the front yard in agricultural and residential land use districts,
    2. The widest street frontage shall be the front yard in all other land use districts.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 176, 1968)

“Yard, rear”: An area extending across the full width of the lot between the rear lot line and the nearest line of the building.  On corner lots, the rear yard area extends from the interior side lot line to nearest line of the building facing the street.  Rear yard depth shall be measured at right angles to the rear line of the lot.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 167, 1968)

“Yard, side”: A yard lying between the side lot line and the building and extending from the front yard to the rear yard.  In the absence of a rear yard, the side yard shall extend to the rear lot line.  Side yard width shall be measured at right angles to the side lot lines.  (Ord. 763, 1996; Ord. 167, 1968)

Yard, side of street (corner lots only)”: An area extending from the lot line abutting the secondary street or future street to the closest projecting front line of the building.  (Ord. 763, 1996)

“Zoning district”: A portion of the county within which certain uses of land and structures are defined, and regulations are specified.  (Ord. 763, 1996)