Criminal Division: FAQs

How do I report a crime?

All crime reports should be directed to the law enforcement agency where the crime occurred. In emergency situations, call 911. Otherwise, crimes committed in Douglas County may be reported to the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office at 782-9935. A crime report can also be filed in person at the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office located at 1038 Buckeye Road, Minden, or 175 Highway 50, Stateline, Nevada.

Once a crime is reported, what happens?

The sheriff’s office and other law enforcement agencies such as Nevada Highway Patrol, Nevada Department of Investigations, and Tribal Police, investigate reported crimes. Completed investigations are submitted to the District Attorney’s Office for review. The assigned Deputy District Attorney reviews that case and makes a charging decision.

What is the jurisdiction of the Douglas County District Attorney’s Office?

The Douglas County District Attorney’s Office is responsible for prosecuting all levels of crimes committed within Douglas County.

Who decides what charges to file and how do they make the decision?

The assigned Deputy District Attorney makes the decision whether to pursue formal charges. The decision is based upon the evidence and the applicable law.

If I get a subpoena, do I have to go to court?

Yes. A subpoena is a court order to appear. If you fail to appear, the judge may impose a fine or a jail sentence. 

Why am I a witness? I didn’t see the crime happen.

Witnesses are not limited to eye witnesses. You may not have seen the crime happen, but you may know something about it.  You may also know something about a piece of evidence, or you may know something that contradicts another witness’ testimony.  If you have questions regarding why you have been subpoenaed, ask the prosecutor assigned to the case.

As a witness, do I have to talk in front of the defendant in court?

Yes. If the matter proceeds to trial, and you testify, your testimony will be given in the presence of the defendant. 

Does the District Attorney represent me and my interests in court?

No. The District Attorney represents the State of Nevada in criminal proceedings. The District Attorney does not represent the victims, witnesses or the defendant.  The District Attorney does not have authority to represent individual citizens in civil cases.

Can the District Attorney provide legal advice?

No. The District Attorney's Office is prevented by law from providing legal advice to individual citizens. 

If I am subpoenaed and I miss work to attend court, will the District Attorney pay for lost wages?

No. However, you will be entitled to a witness fee and mileage for your attendance pursuant to NRS 50.225. 

Where are the courts located?

The Ninth Judicial District Courts and the East Fork Justice Court are each located on the second floor of the Judicial and Law Enforcement Building located at 1038 Buckeye Road, Minden. The Tahoe Township Justice Court is located at 175 Highway 50, Stateline.

I was the victim of a crime. How can I find out the status of the case, the name of the defendant, and the defendant’s next court date?

If charges have been filed and the defendant has been arrested, you may find out the status of the case by contacting the assigned Deputy District Attorney by calling (775) 782-9800.

Can I get a copy of a police report?

The answer to that question lies with the law enforcement agency responsible for creating the report.

I am a merchant. Can the District Attorney’s Office help me collect on a bad check?

Yes.  The District Attorney's Office Bad Check Recovery Unit (BCRU) can assist you.  Please contact the BCRU at (775) 782-9800.

I am a victim of a crime and I want to drop the charges. Can I do that?

No. Criminal charges are brought by the District Attorney’s Office on behalf of the State of Nevada.  Only the prosecutor can decide to “press charges” or “drop charges”.  However, the victim’s desire or opinion is taken into consideration by the prosecutor.

What if I need an interpreter?

Let the court or the prosecutor know in advance. They will arrange to have one available.

What are the division's frequently called numbers?

Douglas County District Attorney’s Office ……………………………….(775) 782-9800
Post Office Box 218
Minden, Nevada  89423

Ninth Judicial District Court Clerk………………………………………...(775) 782-9820
Post Office Box 218
Minden, Nevada  89423

Justice Courts

 East Fork Township Justice Court…………………………...…….........(775) 782-9955
 Post Office Box 218
 Minden, Nevada  89423

 Tahoe Township Justice Court……………………………...……...........(775) 586-7200
 Post Office Box 7169
 Stateline, Nevada  89449

Nevada Criminal History Records Repository………………………… (775) 684-6262
333 West Nye Lane
Carson City, Nevada